Restrictions within the Torres Strait Island Regional Council local government area, and greater Torres Strait region are changing as Queensland moves towards a state-wide COVID-19 safe recovery.
As updates are available, they will be listed here. Bookmark this page and check back regularly.
Roadmap to Easing Restrictions:
From 12 noon 3rd July 2020, the following changes to restrictions came into place:
Family, friends and community:
- Private, non-commercial (e.g. home) gatherings of up to 100 with friends and family
- Weddings and funerals (max 100 people)§
- Maximum number of persons at museums, art galleries, libraries and historic sites determined by the one person per 4 square metre rule
- Sport, recreation and fitness organisations when following a COVID Safe Industry Plan:
- resumption of activity including competition and physical contact is permitted on the field of play
- indoor sports facilities can open with one person per 4 square metres (off the field of play)§
- outdoor sports facilities can open with physical distancing (off the field of play).
Businesses and economy:
- Maximum number of customers for a business at any one time is determined by the 4 square metre rule¥^
- For smaller venues below 200 square metres, businesses can have one person per 2 square metres up to 50 persons at a time§¥
- The following businesses and areas may re-open with a COVID Safe Plan:
- casinos, gaming and gambling venues (including electronic gaming machines)
- non-therapeutic massage^
- saunas and bathhouses^
- food courts
- Office-based workers can return to their place of work
- Up to 25,000 spectators or 50% of capacity (whichever is the lesser) at Queensland’s Major Sports Facilities, with a COVID Safe Plan
- Concert venues, theatres and auditoriums can open and have up to 50% capacity or one person per 4 square metres (whichever is the greater), with a COVID Safe Plan
- More events allowed:
- fewer than 500 people – no approval needed when following a COVID Safe Event Checklist
- 500 to 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by local public health units
- over 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by the Queensland Chief Health Officer
- COVID Safe Industry Plans continue to apply with revisions to reflect changes in Stage 3. COVID Safe Checklists continue to apply.
- The restrictions on access to Declared Travel Zones will continue under the CHO Direction: Restricted Access to Remote Communities.
- Under the Remote Communities Roadmap, any easing of restrictions in those areas will occur following an assessment of public health advice, response capability and community consultation.
Ongoing review of state-based restrictions will be undertaken based on levels of community transmission. This includes:
- Density requirements, including consideration of moving from 4 to 2 square metres per person for all venues
- Remaining restrictions on high-risk businesses and activities.
^ Max 50 with a COVID Safe Checklist when not complying with the COVID Safe Industry Plan.
§ Provided contact details are kept for at least 56 days.
¥ Defined areas no longer required.
Click here for more information about Queenslands roadmap to easing restrictions.
Have you downloaded the COVIDSafe app yet?
The COVIDSafe app speeds up contacting people exposed to coronavirus (COVID-19). This helps us support and protect you, your friends and family.
Click here to learn more about the COVIDSafe app or download it using the following links:
Visit the following websites:
Or by calling:
134 COVID (134 26843)
13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84)