Skip to content
An autonomous, prosperous and sustainable community and council

Applying for information

If you’re seeking access to information not limited to your own personal information that’s not available in our publication scheme, disclosure log or by administrative access, apply under the Right to Information Act 2009.

For applications for non-personal information or a combination of personal and non-personal information, an application fee of $43.35 (for 2015-16 financial year) and processing and access charges may be payable.


All applications must provide sufficient information to enable the identification of the documents requested, as well as certified identification of the applicant (for example, driver’s licence or birth certificate) within 10 business days of lodging the application.

Council will apply the provisions of the Right to Information Act 2009 to determine if you can access the information or document requested.

If you’re seeking access to documents limited to your own personal information, apply under the Information Privacy Act 2009.

For applications requesting access to personal information only, there’s no application fee or processing charges. However, access charges may be payable. You'll be required to provide evidence of your identity.

Complete the RTI and IP Application Form (PDF) to access information.

We recommended you contact our Chief Information Officer for assistance and advice before completing and submitting this form (see contact details below).

Send your completed form to our Chief Information Officer.

Chief Information Officer
Torres Strait Island Regional Council
PO Box 7336
Cairns Qld 4870

Phone: 07 4034 5700
Fax: 07 4034 5750

Application process

From the date we receive your application, we have 25 business days to provide you with a decision.

There are some factors that can change this time limit (see section 69 of the Right to Information Act 2009 (Qld) (PDF).

If you’re affected by a decision under the RTI Act or the IP Act, you may apply for internal or external review of the decision in certain circumstances.

Get more information about your review rights


Next page: Amending personal information with Council